The Germans from Romania are an integral part of the Romanian state. The documentary evidences show that the Germans have been present on the Romanian territory for more than eight centuries today, and their number has increased or decreased depending on the historical and political context.
Between the two world wars, almost 800.000 German citizens lived in Greater Romania. Their representatives formed their own faction in the Romanian Parliament.
Between 1940-1944, the Germans from our country were organized into the “German Ethnic Group in Romania”, which was under the tutelage of the German Reich. The Germans from Bucovina, Basarabia and Dobrogea were “displaced”, and 63.000 Germans from Romania were enlisted in the German army on the basis of an agreement between Romania and Germany.
In the first years after the Second World War, the Germans from Romania were collectively discriminated, most of them being expropriated. Until 1948 they had no political rights.
A total of 75.000 Germans were deported, in 1945, and forced to work in the Soviet Union, from where those who survived returned, the vast majority of them no sooner than 1949. The desire for emigration which was triggered among the German population in Romania grew, especially after 1970, also since the Federal Republic of Germany created favorable conditions for welcoming the Germans. In 1989, about 200.000 Germans lived in Romania, and by the 2002 census, their number had dropped to 60.000.
Under the sign of the changes from 1989/1990, the Germans from Romania created, through the Democratic Forum of Germans in Romania (FDGR), an organization that represents them politically.
FDGR is formed of local, county and regional organizations. The regional ones are in number of five, each one for: the Extra-Carpathian Region, Banat, Bucovina, Northern Transylvania and Transylvania.