Established by Royal Decree on the 6th of April 1913 under the name of “Academy for Commercial and Industrial High Studies” (ACIHS) as history records that the success in establishing ACIHS bears the mark of the political authority of the Prime-Minister Titu Maiorescu and the perseverance of Nicolae D. Xenopol.
The Bucharest University of Economic Studies celebrated in 2013 a century of existence and it is the most important higher education establishment of economic profile from Romania.
Its headquarters is in the Commercial Academy Palace, in Romană Square. This palace was built in Neo-Classic style between 1916-1926 by the architects Grigore Cerchez, Edmond van Saanen Algi and Culina Arghir.
In 2011, the institution was classified in the category of top Romanian universities, that is “advanced research and education universities”.