Right in the centre of Romania’s capital city, at the intersection of two main communication routes – Victoria Street and
Regina Elisabeta Boulevard – it is almost impossible not to notice the beautiful and monumental façade of the Palace
of the National Military Circle, which reminds one of the National Opera in Paris (The Garnier Palace).
The works for the construction of the Palace of the National Military Circle, a palace designed in 1899 by the Romanian
architect Dimitrie Maimarolu, began in 1911, by Nicolae Filipescu’s decisive urge (who was in that period minister of war).
The official and solemn inauguration of the palace took place on the 4th of February 1923, in the presence of King Ferdinand
and Queen Marie.
The Palace of the National Military Circle, an important architectural and historical monument, has been designed in eclectic style,
having a monumentality specific for the French formalism. This palace is part of the important series of architectural monuments
erected in Bucharest in the second half of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. Through their elegance and beauty,
these monuments have earned Bucharest its second name: “The Little Paris". The Palace hosts the National Military Circle which is the central cultural institution of the army.
The sumptuous interiors, starting with the halls on the underground floor (The Byzantine, Norwegian and Gothic Halls), continuing with
the elegance of the Honour Hall (now The Founders’ Hall) and the imposing Marble and Maori Halls, are all embellished by art works, antique furniture, chandeliers and interior stuccos that create a uniform stylistic atmosphere.