Romania’s National Art Museum is the most important art museum in the country.
The museum was founded in 1950 in the former Royal Palace of the capital city. In 2000, the European Art Gallery of the Museum
reopened in the southern part of the building.
The paintings collection consists of 214 pieces of art that belonged to King Carol the 1st., to which other paintings belonging to
other members of the family were added.
The edifice was erected between 1927 and 1937 according to the plans of the Romanian architect D. Niculescu.
In 1948, after the abusive abolishment of the monarchy, The Royal Palace became The National Art Museum. Inaugurated in 1950,
The National Gallery is host for the art works of some famous painters such as Theodor Aman, Nicolae Grigorescu, Stefan Luchian, Nicolae Tonitza, Theodor Pallady and some famous sculptors such as Dimitrie Paciurea, Constantin Medrea, Ion Jalea and the world-renowned Constantin Brancusi.
The most spectacular gallery is The European Gallery, inaugurated in 1951, made up of 15 halls. One can find here paintings and sculptures signed by Rembrandt, Veneziano, Tiziano, Tintoretto, Zurbaran, El Greco, Renoir, Monet, Pissarro, Breughel Delacroix,
Sisley and Rubens. The patrimony of the museum consists as well of 4000 engravings and drawings of some Romanian and foreign famous artists.